My favorite was Jeffrey R. Holland who spoke about being lonely. I think I liked it so much, because of the details he described of the final days of our Saviors life. How all His disciples left Him, even Heavenly Father, for a brief moment on the cross, and He needed that to truly understand how we feel when we feel lonely, depressed, or sad. It definitely increased my testimony of how much we can depend on Christ, and how much He went through - simply because He loves us.During the 2 sessions on Sunday, we walked to the park for a picnic. It was a beautiful day! As we walked to the park we were reminding Riley that we can play on the grass, but that because it was Sunday, we couldn't play on the play structure. We believe that Sunday is a day of worship and that we should only do things that bring us closer to God or our family/close friends.
So, would playing together at the park, tear us apart? No!
Riley kept saying, "but those kids are playing, they're mean"! We reminded her that they aren't mean, sometimes other families do things different . And, my mind raced ahead to the future and I kept thinking that this will be an issue her whole life! "Those other kids are_____" ....You fill in the blank. Sometimes, as we're driving to church, I see people at the Starbucks, in their cute tank tops, walking the dog, and I want to say "those people are playing - I want to too - they're mean"!
At the heart of it, I know that our church is true! On Sundays, there is really no other place I would rather be than at church with fellow latter day saints, and where I can learn! I know if I teach my child the principles I was believe are correct, then she will grow strong in this gospel, and find more joy then the 20 minutes on the playground would have given her.
Our Sunday ended with s'mores out in our backyard (it still sounds weird to say "our backyard")This was Chloe and Riley's first experience with s'mores - it is now a love affair never to end!
I love the marshmallow stuck to Chloe's face, she don't care - she luvvved it.
6 comments:
loved his talk. I needed it.
I bet the s'mores are helping Chloe like the backyard!!!
And yes, Elder Holland's talk was my favorite too. I always feel the spirit so strongly during his talks because I can feel his testimony and how much it means to him in every word. I was able to attend this session in the Conference Center, and I was moved by the talk, but when they sang the Primary song "This is my beloved Son" afterwards, I wept. I wept at the power of true doctrine to change lives, of both adults and children. Thanks for sharing your testimony in this post.
Brilliant...
Sunday is definitely the day to be different. It's not bad to be different.... just difficult sometimes, especially when the kids are little and see everyone else doing other things. ( It's also difficult when it means not making a certain soccer team.) But I love Sundays and my kids got to the point (when they are teenagers) that they like it that they don't have to go play soccer, do homework, work in the yard, etc. on Sunday. We go to church, do home teaching and other callings, eat good food and play games together. Lots of fun and we all love it!!!
I agree, Elder Holland's talk was the best. Amazing!!!
I only heard bits and pieces of every talk, but you are like the fourth person to mention this specific talk. I'll definitely have to listen to it tonight after the kids are in bed.
I've been surprised how Joseph has been able to learn how to uphold his own (or our imposed...) standards without judging others. A few years ago he asked me if our neighbor, a good friend, who was smoking if he was a "bad guy". Right in front of him. (Awkward moment. Luckily he thought it was funny and agreed with me that smoking is bad.) But it definitely opened the door to talk to Joseph about all those things, and we talked about it often, and now I'm amazed at how easy it is for him to understand. My kids are always surprising me that way, they are capable of understanding so much more than I expect.
Post a Comment