Friday, April 23, 2010

Morning Conversation with Riley



R: Mom, everyone at church is prettier than me

Me: what did you say??

R: I said, all my friends at church look much prettier than me, with their dresses and long hair!

Me: Riley, you are beautiful and pretty and gorgeous, and you don't ever need to think that someone is prettier than you. You are great just the way you are!

R: You mean I'm PRETTIER than everyone else?? (with a big smile)

Me: Well, lets say you are pretty JUST like everyone else is pretty.

She was OK with that.

{I must admit, my very first thought was YES, you and Chloe are the most beautiful things I have ever seen! - but not sure it would translate, should she tell her friends, don't all Mom's think their kids are the cutest?}

I swear she is a teenager wrapped in a 4 year old body.

3 comments:

Maren said...

I would guess that her class full of BOYS thinks she's pretty!

I liked your response, that you didn't make looks the issue, but that she should just be happy being herself.

JJ said...

classic! endearing! well put!

Kathy Ng said...

haha, i like the 14 year old of her wrap in a 4 year old body, my friend heard her girl and her friends conversation about their "little boy friend" when they were on a field trip, i laugh so hard when my friend told me that, isn't all the little kids like that~ they are just too cute~ haha
(your response is so awesome by the way, i like that~) :)