Potty training is not my favorite thing to do. I have no patience and I hate the clean up. I might have a few suggestions on what worked for me, but every child is different, so I can't guarentee they'll work. I'll talk to you at park day tomorrow or playgroup on thurs. Good luck. Don't give up yet :)
My mom did an all-day thing with me where she blocked us into the kitchen together (easy clean up), brought some toys in, etc., had the potty chair in a corner, and loaded me with liquids all day. She liked it because there was a smaller area of distractions so I paid more attention, and I learned the feeling more. By the end of the day, I had it down where she didn't need to ask me if I needed to go anymore and did it on my own. The next day we did the same thing, but I had to leave the kitchen and go to the actual bathroom. By the third and fourth days I was a potty-going machine and only had 2 or 3 accidents from then on out.
My sister took a couple more days, but had it in a week. Every kid is different, but it's something to try, I guess.
I pushed with Parks. I seriously tried so many different ideas. Finally I was so tired of cleaning up messes that I gave up (like went and bought another box of diapers at Costco gave up). A couple of days later he was begging to wear underwear and I tried to compromise and go for a pull up. Art happened to be home that day and he told him okay and told me he would take care of it. All of the sudden, he had it. I guess with him it just needed to be that he was ready to do it in his time. Good luck! I hate potty training and am dreading doing it again soon:)
well, i'm not sure how you can use duct tape to potty train...but i say WAIT. it isn't like she is going to kindergarten in diapers. you tried, she learned a little, but she wasn't ready, no big deal. offer the potty, praise her bigtime when she's interested, and of these days she'll be ready, and when she is you'll have no fights, no clean-up, no bribes, just a potty-trained child and a happy mom. it worked for my kids, joseph like a week before he turned 3 and amy a few months before she turned 3 (the week after chris was born, lovely timing). i don't think you should sweat it. instead go grab some twizzlers!
I went to the store and bought those underpants that have cloth inside and plastic on the outside...I put them on Arianna and would check her every 15 minutes or so to see if she was dry. If she was, I would give her a very small treat. I then would ask her if she needed to go potty...it literally took me 3 days to potty train her.
I will say, don't force the potty training thing if Riley isn't really ready. You will be amazed at how fast they will learn when they are actually ready.
i wish i had some words of wisdom like all these people, but i think i was peeing my pants until i was in the fifth grade! lol! it had something to do with nasty public school bathrooms...good luck.
Well, I don't know if this is advice or not but since Riley and Renata are close in age, here's what we are doing: I let her pick out her own potty at Target (meaning I chose the one she wouldn't play with, no music,no lights, just plain potty), and I put the potty in whatever room we are playing in. I let her chose when she wants to go and sing & dance with her when she goes. She goes on a pretty regular basis with no accidents. There are a couple of days when she doesn't want to but overall so far so good. Good luck, always sounds like Riley is a little pistol :)
My kids didn't learn until they were about 3 1/2. I tried teaching them earlier but they were completely disinterested. But once they were ready, they were teachable in a few days. If you need to borrow some potty training books for kids and videos, let me know. I have almost every one out in the market (desperate!).
9 comments:
Potty training is not my favorite thing to do. I have no patience and I hate the clean up. I might have a few suggestions on what worked for me, but every child is different, so I can't guarentee they'll work. I'll talk to you at park day tomorrow or playgroup on thurs. Good luck. Don't give up yet :)
My mom did an all-day thing with me where she blocked us into the kitchen together (easy clean up), brought some toys in, etc., had the potty chair in a corner, and loaded me with liquids all day. She liked it because there was a smaller area of distractions so I paid more attention, and I learned the feeling more. By the end of the day, I had it down where she didn't need to ask me if I needed to go anymore and did it on my own. The next day we did the same thing, but I had to leave the kitchen and go to the actual bathroom. By the third and fourth days I was a potty-going machine and only had 2 or 3 accidents from then on out.
My sister took a couple more days, but had it in a week. Every kid is different, but it's something to try, I guess.
I pushed with Parks. I seriously tried so many different ideas. Finally I was so tired of cleaning up messes that I gave up (like went and bought another box of diapers at Costco gave up). A couple of days later he was begging to wear underwear and I tried to compromise and go for a pull up. Art happened to be home that day and he told him okay and told me he would take care of it. All of the sudden, he had it. I guess with him it just needed to be that he was ready to do it in his time. Good luck! I hate potty training and am dreading doing it again soon:)
duct tape
well, i'm not sure how you can use duct tape to potty train...but i say WAIT. it isn't like she is going to kindergarten in diapers. you tried, she learned a little, but she wasn't ready, no big deal. offer the potty, praise her bigtime when she's interested, and of these days she'll be ready, and when she is you'll have no fights, no clean-up, no bribes, just a potty-trained child and a happy mom. it worked for my kids, joseph like a week before he turned 3 and amy a few months before she turned 3 (the week after chris was born, lovely timing). i don't think you should sweat it. instead go grab some twizzlers!
I went to the store and bought those underpants that have cloth inside and plastic on the outside...I put them on Arianna and would check her every 15 minutes or so to see if she was dry. If she was, I would give her a very small treat. I then would ask her if she needed to go potty...it literally took me 3 days to potty train her.
I will say, don't force the potty training thing if Riley isn't really ready. You will be amazed at how fast they will learn when they are actually ready.
i wish i had some words of wisdom like all these people, but i think i was peeing my pants until i was in the fifth grade! lol! it had something to do with nasty public school bathrooms...good luck.
Well, I don't know if this is advice or not but since Riley and Renata are close in age, here's what we are doing: I let her pick out her own potty at Target (meaning I chose the one she wouldn't play with, no music,no lights, just plain potty), and I put the potty in whatever room we are playing in. I let her chose when she wants to go and sing & dance with her when she goes. She goes on a pretty regular basis with no accidents. There are a couple of days when she doesn't want to but overall so far so good. Good luck, always sounds like Riley is a little pistol :)
My kids didn't learn until they were about 3 1/2. I tried teaching them earlier but they were completely disinterested. But once they were ready, they were teachable in a few days. If you need to borrow some potty training books for kids and videos, let me know. I have almost every one out in the market (desperate!).
Post a Comment