Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Yes, its our claim to fame - we know someone on the cover of a church magazine! For those of you that receive the Ensign, you noticed this cute woman on the front. Her name is Kathy Ng, (aka Sister Ng) she was one of the main missionaries that taught Mike 6 years ago when he was investigating the church! She now lives in Hong Kong, I have never met her, but I have heard some GREAT stories, mainly from Robbin :). Mike was taught by only sister missionaries - what a lucky guy!
I am so grateful for these wonderful women that gave up 1 1/2 of their lives to come teach the gospel and so grateful they found Mike - they taught him so well. Missionary work has always been one of my weaknesses and I never would have guessed that a little missionary work could affect my life so deeply. These women were truly an instruments in the hands of God, and I will be forever grateful for them.

5 comments:

Kaija said...

This story about the sister missionaries who taught Mike is really, really special. I remember when I was serving my mission how interesting it was to realize all the backstory that was going on when the missionaries had been teaching me -- to realize how much they must have prayed, and prepared, and been guided in their lessons with me, how they talked about my progress with each other and their zone leaders. I have lost track of the junior companion who taught me. I would like to find him. He was from Canada. I don't even remember his name... But the senior companion came back a year later to baptize me -- that was special. Anyway, I think it is cool to see missionary work from all sides. The missionary, the member, the spouse. And rekindle the light and power of the work. It is odd how easy it is to forget, even in light of such powerful experiences. Hence the constant scriptural injunction to "remember"!

The Potter Pack said...

This is really awesome ... I love to hear stories like that ... is Mike still in contact with her ? Like does she know that an eternal family came out of it ? I bet she would be so happy to know the results of her hard work!

The Kelly Family said...

That is really awesome! I grew up in the church, so I think sometimes I take missionary work for granted, but I am grateful for all the missionaries who teach, and for all the converts who took the time to follow the spirit and listen to their message. The church would not be where it is today without missionaries. And that is really cool that she is spotlighted in the Ensign. I'm going to look on lds.org and read the article :)

Anonymous said...

A special note about dear Sister Ng, "I am not from China, I am from Hong Kong!!" Kathy and I had a blast teaching Mike and serving together. No need to inflate Mike's head, but he knows he was my favorite investigator:) I don't think I will ever know for sure why I was called to San Francisco but the way we found Mike and the experience of teaching him (and having him as one of my best friends--even though he NEVER calls) lets me know that I was in San Fran for a purpose (I had to meet Jaime!)
Sister Ng is the best!

Anonymous said...

Wahaha, Robbin is right, I am not from China, I am from Hong Kong, haha, I still remember I always say it when i was a missionary! hahaha. Thanks Sister Keating remind this funny things. You're so lovely. But to be honest, Mike sure is a special gift for missionary, I still remember Sis. Keating keep calling him in the Menlo Park Chapel but no one answer, but then he calls back and said Yes for a meeting, What a surprise! :) The Lord does have a way for his servant to find people who are ready! I am so proud of Sis. Keating and Mike. What a great blessing for me to serve arround them.